TV's Have Gotten A Lot Better in 10 Years

The last TV I bought was a Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-inch 1080P model in 2007, the same year my youngest daughter was born. It seemed huge, had the best picture I had ever seen, all the fancy new HDMI inputs I could hope for, and of course support for HDTV content.

That TV has seen (or shown) some things. Endless hours of Teletubbies, my little pony, and bob-the-builder.

Since I got that TV my eyesight has deteriorated a bit, I have prescription eyewear, and sometimes text can appear a bit fuzzy.

Over the years new technologies such as 3D came along. 1080P wasn't all that bleeding edge anymore, there was no longer a need for the composite or S-Video connections on the TV, and a few more HDMI connections would be nice... But none of those things made buying a new TV worth it - especially since we rarely watched TV and the whole eyesight thing.

Along came 4K, ROKU OS, HDR and Dolby Vision, and multi-zone LCD backlighting. Time to get a new TV.

I considered a variety of options from high-end OLED's, to the Vizeo E and M series, and everything in between. Walking the aisles at Costco and Best Buy was confusing. Everything looked smaller than it was, and all but the most expensive models looked disappointing.

After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to order a "cheap" model from TCL. The 55 inch 55P607. At $649 from Amazon, for a 55-inch model that had an RF Remote, ROKU OS, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, a built-in Tuner, and 72 LED Backlight Zones I didn't expect greatness... just a robust feature set.

Wow, was i surprised. This thing was such a leap forward from the "old" Sharp. I know as the price goes up there are diminishing returns, but I can only imagine how good some of the high-end models must be.

The unfortunate side effect is that i actually enjoy watching TV again. Stranger Things and Star Trek Enterprise are amazing ways to waste a bit of time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repairing KRK RP6G2 Rokit 6 Gen2 Speakers

PS Audio Directstream, DS MKII, TSS : New DAC or Mods?

PureAudio Lotus DAC5 Review